TortoiseSVN Menu Firefox Extension
About This Extension
This extension adds a TortoiseSVN context menu to links in Firefox (see screenshot below). TortoiseSVN ("TSVN") is the popular graphical Windows Explorer plugin for the Subversion version-control system.
I'm more likely to use Firefox for browsing my repository than I am the TSVN "Repo-Browser", so I wanted an easy way to perform operations without having to copy and paste URLs all the time. If you work the same way, you'll find this extension useful.
Install TSVN Menu (supports Firefox 1.5 and above only, including Firefox 2). You will have to either download this file locally, or add PumaCode.org to your list of trusted software download sites. Obviously, it will work on Windows platforms only.
You can also install from the Official Mozilla Add-Ons site.
Following are the known issues with the current release:
- Some commands may not work properly with TortoiseSVN versions prior to 1.3.
- The location for TortoiseProc.exe (the TSVN app through which all external calls are made) is stored in the Firefox parameter tsvn.tproc_path. On the first run, this value is retrieved from the TSVN registry entry; however, prior to 0.2.0 it simply defaulted to C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TortoiseProc.exe. If this is different on your system, type about:config in the Firefox address bar, find the tsvn.tproc_path parameter, and either set it to the correct value, or blank it out to have the registry value re-read.
History of previous versions of this extension:
- 0.2.2: Bump maxVersion to support Firefox 2.
- 0.2.1: Change download, update, and homepage URLs.
- 0.2.0: Add Delete and Export after fixes in TSVN; find TSVN using Registry on first use.
- 0.1.1: Fix bug which causes submenu to always appear even for non-links.
- 0.1: Initial version.
What is still missing from this extension (note: These are just a train of thought... this extension does pretty much everything I need it to and I doubt I'll do any more development on it. However please feel free to check out the source code and submit patches if you think of something useful.):
- "Real" options dialog
- Figure out how to adjust menu based on whether file or directory
- Figure out how to guess Subversion links?
- Integrate with other (Linux-based?) graphical SVN clients
The source code is available via SVN at http://svn.pumacode.org/repos/tsvnmenu/.
Email me at "toby (at) tobiasly (dot) com" with suggestions, patches, translations, etc.
TSVN Menu Firefox Extension is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2.
Here is an example of how the TortoiseSVN context menu looks in Firefox. You can also see an example of my Subversion XSLT Stylesheet, which changes the default boring look of mod_dav_svn rendered indexes into something a bit easier to use, including full "breadcrumb" links into parent directories, css-based mouseover effects, and optional links to Trac or WebSvn.